Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Bump In The Road....

We had our first night home as a family on friday night!!

Lots of our friends and family came over to see the boys and welcome us all home. It was good to see our friends there and spending time with us and our boys since most other 19-20 year olds normally wouldn't want to spend their friday nights inside with babies.

After everyone left, we got the boys all ready for bed and we went to bed ourselves as well. The boys woke up every 3 hours to eat on the dot, which we were expecting; so we were prepared. 

The next morning we had a visiting nurse come out to check the boys vital signs since Shane was slightly jaundice when we left the hospital friday morning. We had bundled up the boys and put them in their bouncers so we could gather up everything needed for the visit and clean up a little from the night before. Everything was going well during the visit until she took their temperatures. They both had really low temperatures, and the visiting nurse was slightly worried... She layered them both in 2-3 outfits then swaddled them in 2-3 blankets each to try to bring up their temperatures. She told us to keep them wrapped for about an hour and then take their temperatures and call the doctor to give them a heads up as to if anything had changed.

When we took their temperatures, they had raised slightly, but weren't much better. Shane's was registering at 94.4, and Taylor's registered at 95.6.

When we told their pediatric doctor she advised us to take them over to the hospital to be checked out. So we did, and it turned out to be a lot more than we thought it was. Both boys were really cold internally, and needed to be warmed up quickly. The doctor on call at the hospital thought that maybe they might have a bacterial infection, and they wanted to do something about it immediately.

They needed to give both boys a spinal and get fluids & blood drawn; along with x-rays and all other types of procedures. It scared the life out of Jamie and I, and instantly brought us to tears. We couldn't stay in the room and watch them do anything, but we couldn't bare to leave them without someone they knew. Therefore Jamie's mom (G) volunteered to stay with them so we didn't have to be heartbroken watching them get everything done to them. -- I was so thankful for this because I know there was NO way I could watch my four day old babies get spinals and everything.-- Jamie and I went out to the car, and both instantly broke down in tears. It was scary for us, and they are so precious, little and innocent! But then after taking a few moments to let it all out, we both came to the realization that at least it was caught early before something even worse happened....

While all of this was going on, I hadn't realized that I was neglecting taking care of myself - including not taking my pain meds (for pain from c-section), or eating or drinking anything the whole time we were there. I started feeling very exhausted and faint, and all the nurses were telling me that I looked extremely pale and should go and get checked out. So I did, and after a couple hours of tests and waiting around - they came to the conclusion that my hemoglobin was really low. So they prescribed me to iron and sent me on my way to go up with Jamie, his mom & the boys.

When I got upstairs I said hello to the boys.
They were in warmers and doing really great, but had to stay over night - we even got to sleep in their room overnight and everything. Then by the morning, they decided to take both the boys off of the warmers and see if they could keep their temperatures up on their own.

It's now 10:18 pm and they have been off the monitors all day, and so far they have been keeping their temperatures up on their own!! We have to stay over night again, so the boys can be monitored - just to be sure their temperatures don't just plummet back down again - (which is what's best) - Hopefully by tomorrow things will still be good and dandy, and we can bring the boys home <3

No comments:

Post a Comment